- Graduate Director MSBA-HTM Program
Mahmood A. Khan, PhD is Professor and Director in the Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech’s National Capital Region Center for the past 33 years. Before joining Virginia Tech, he was Professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, for nine years. He joined the newly formed department in 1987 as the first Assistant Department Head and then served as the department head for over a decade. He went to northern Virginia to establish a graduate program and currently serves as the director of the program.
He has authored ten books on different subjects in hospitality management with the latest one on restaurant franchising. He has served as executive editor for book series, Advances in Hospitality & Tourism Management, which contains over 20 books under different research topics. In addition, he has numerous chapters in books and monographs. He has attended over 100 different conferences and chaired sessions and served as keynote speaker. He has served as consultant to selected major international corporations and was invited as expert witness in many legal cases.
He has traveled extensively to 36 countries serving in different capacities, including offering workshops, training, and research, as well as seminars on various topics. He has served as Fulbright senior fellow and has worked on several projects offered by the USAID in Armenia and Cyprus. He has offered management certification training programs in Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Cyprus, Malaysia, and Armenia in addition to graduate and undergraduate courses in services management. He held Brahim’s Chair in Hospitality Management at the UPM (Universiti Putra Malaysia) and served as the founding board member at the Cesar Ritz College of Hospitality Management in Switzerland. He is a fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and served as a Registered Dietitian. He was awarded Honorary Citizenship and key to the city of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He has received the Steven Fletcher Award for his outstanding contribution to hospitality education and research. He is also a recipient of John Wiley & Sons Award for lifetime contribution to outstanding research and scholarship; Donald K. Tressler Award for scholarship; and Cesar Ritz Award for scholarly contribution. He received an Outstanding Doctoral faculty award from the Pamplin College of Business. He has served on the Board of Governors of the Educational Foundation of the International Franchise Association, on the Board of Directors of the Virginia Hospitality and Tourism Association, as a Trustee of the International College of Hospitality Management and as a Trustee on the Foundation of the Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association’s International Association. He belongs as a member of several professional associations.
- Foodservice and Restaurant Management
- Hospitality Franchising
- Theory building and development
- Consumer behavior
- Food and Nutrition
Research methods & skills
- Focus groups
- Laboratory assessments
- Information technology
- Survey research
Publications that best represent myresearch
- Khan, M.A. (2019). Building theories for hospitality discipline: an attempt to describe and elaborate required processes and procedures. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 43(5), 619-632. doi:10.1177/1096348019838022 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] Distinguished Scholar Series Research Paper *
- Khan, M.A. and Hefny, M. (2019). Systematic Assessment of Theory-Based Research in Hospitality Management: A Prelude to Building Theories. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 43(4), 464-488. doi:10.1177/1096348019830176 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] Distinguished Scholar Series Research Paper *
- Khan, M.A. (2019). A systematic assessment of gaps between academic research and industry participation in hospitality management discipline. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 82, 82-90. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2019.03.030 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Khan, M.A. and Mohammed, S.S. (2019). Children’s menus in American restaurants: Analysis for sodium and calories. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, 22(5), 401-412. doi:10.1080/15378020.2019.1631140 [Publisher] [Google Scholar]
* Elite publication Pamplin College of Business
He has taught almost every undergraduate and several graduate HTM courses. Currently he is teaching graduate level courses for MSBA, MBA, EMBA, and HTM.
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research
- Associate Editor, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly
- Senior Acquisition Editor, Apple Academic Publications
- Chief Editor, Advances in Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Founder Editor, Journal of International Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism Management
- Chief-Editor, Encyclopedia of Hospitality and Tourism
- Founder Editor, Journal of College and University Foodservice
- Founder Editor, Journal of Nutrition in Recipe and Menu Development
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Journal of Marketing Trends
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research
- Editorial Board Member, Hygiene and Nutrition in Foodservice and Catering: An International Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Indian Journal of International Tourism & Hospitality Research
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Services Research
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies
Education and certification
- PhD, Food Science, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 1975
- MS, Food Science, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 1972
- MSc, Agricultural Chemistry, A.P. Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, India, 1971 [ABD]
- BS, Agriculture, A.P. Agricultural University, Rajendranagar, India, 1969
- BS, Biology, Zoology, & Chemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India, 1966
- Professor, Health Sciences, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 2013-2016.
- Brahim’s Endowed Chair Professor, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2010-Aug 2011
- Associate Professor, Food Service Management, Department of Foods and Nutrition and Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, Urbana, IL, 1984-1987
- Assistant Professor, Food Service Management, Department of Foods and Nutrition and Division of Nutritional Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, Urbana, IL, 1978-1984
- Assistant Professor, Foods, Nutrition, and Dietetics, Department of Home Economics, Albright College, Reading, PA, 1975-1977
- Adjunct Faculty, Nutrition, Pennsylvania State University, Berks Campus, Reading, PA, 1977-1978
- Working in restaurants and nursing homes
Honors and awards
- Honorary Citizenship of the Capital City, Baton Rouge, and key to the city was awarded by the Mayor-President of Baton Rouge, LA.
- Fellow, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Brahim’s Endowed Chair professorship awarded by the University Putra Malaysia – 2010-2011.
- Honorary Faculty Member – Yerevan State Armenian-Greek College; Republic of Armenia.
- Fulbright-Nehru Award – Selected for Fulbright Award for teaching – 2009-2010.
- Fulbright Senior Specialist – Listed in the Roster by J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB), the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the Department of State, and the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES).
- Stevenson W. Fletcher Achievement Award presented by the Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (CHRIE), in recognition of a Outstanding Achievement in contributing Innovative ideas, methods or programs that have advanced teaching, learning or practice in the field of hospitality and tourism education.
- John Wiley & Sons Research Award presented by the Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (CHRIE), in recognition of a lifetime contribution to Outstanding Scholarship and Research in Hospitality and Tourism.
- Cesar Ritz Award for outstanding contribution to Hospitality Education. Donald K. Tressler Award for research and scholarship in Hospitality Education, 'Research Scholar of the Year.'
- Member, Board of Governors, Institute of Certified Franchise Executives, Educational Foundation, International Franchise Association.
- Outstanding Faculty in Doctoral Education, 2005, Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech.
- Fellow, International Academy of Hospitality Research.
- It’s a small small world!!
Food & Beverage
- Eat well and Do good!