Juan Luis Nicolau
- Graduate Director PhD program
Juan Luis Nicolau, PhD is the J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Professor of Revenue Management in the Virginia Tech Pamplin College of Business. He has authored 2 books, 5 book chapters and more than 100 journal publications (over 80 of them are published in journals listed on the Web of Science’s Journal of Citation Reports), such as Strategic Management Journal, Omega: The International Journal of Management Science, Journal of Business Research, Economics Letters, Marketing Letters, European Journal of Operational Research, Journal of Travel Research, Annals of Tourism Research, Tourism Management, International Journal of Hospitality Management, Tourism Economics, Journal of Services Marketing or European Journal of Marketing. Before joining Virginia Tech, he was tenured Full Professor of Marketing and the Dean of the College of Economics and Business of the University of Alicante (Spain). He has received more than a dozen research awards. He is listed among the world’s top-25 international researchers in tourism according to the ranking published in Tourism Management Perspectives.
- Consumer choice
- Firm value
- Discrete choice models
- Event study
Publications that best represent my research
- Nicolau, J.L. and Sharma, A. (2019). To ban or not to ban rate parity, that is the question… or not?. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 77, 523-527. doi: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2018.08.016 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Nicolau, J.L., Alén, E., Losada, N. and Domínguez, T. (2019). The Staged Nature of Decision-Making among Senior Tourists, Journal of Travel Research, forthcoming. doi: 10.1177/0047287519851229 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Sharma, A. and Nicolau, J.L. (2019). Hotels to OTAs: "Hands off my rates!" The economic consequences of the rate parity legislative actions in Europe and the US, Tourism Management, 75, 427-434. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2019.06.009 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Nicolau, J.L. and Sellers, R. (2019). The bundling strategy: the one-click effect on loss aversion, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, forthcoming. doi:10.1177/1096348019876692 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Lei, S.L., Nicolau, J.L., Xiao, Q. and Wang, D. (2019). The Effectiveness of Tryvertising in Hotels, International Journal of Hospitality Management, forthcoming. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2019.102403 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
* Pamplin elite list journal
- HTM 4454 Hospitality Revenue Management
- Travel and Tourism Research Association (TTRA)
- Journals included in the Web of Science (Journal of Citations Report)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Travel Research, since 2010
- Associate Editor, Annals of Tourism Research, since 2018
- Associate Editor, Tourism Economics, since 2018
- Associate Editor, Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, since 2018
- Associate Editor, Business Research Quarterly (formerly known as Cuadernos de Economía y Dirección de Empresas (CEDE)), 2012 to 2016
- Journals not included in the Web of Science (Journal of Citations Report)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Information Technology & Tourism, since 2017
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector, since 2007
- Associate Editor,Holística: Journal of Business and Public Administration, since 2010
- Associate Editor,International Journal of Bank Marketing, 2013 to 2017
- Associate Editor,International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 2011 to 2015
- Founding member, Alliance for Innovators and Researchers in Tourism & Hospitality (AIRTH), since 2017
- PhD, College of Economics and Business, University of Alicante, 2002
Honors and Awards
- Research Award for the best Spanish PhD thesis in tourism, Valencia Government, 2004.
- Research Award for the best marketing research project, ESIC Business School, 2004.
- 1st Prize in the Malaga Research Contest to the best tourism research project, Malaga Government, 2006.
- Valedictorian Doctorate Award, University of Alicante, 2007.
- Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008.
- Secondary award in Joan Oró’s Award to the scientific research divulgation, Catalan Association of Scientific Communication, 2008.
- Highly Commended Award at the Eirass 2009 Conference, Niagara.
- Award for the best research project in tourism in the International Tourism Trade Fair (FITUR), 2010)
- Unicaja Award to the best socioeconomic research project, October 2010.
- Research Award of the Everis Fundation, 2011.
- Journal Paper of the Year Award (second place), International Federation of IT and Travel and Tourism (IFITT), 2014.
- Journal Paper of the Year Award (third place), International Federation of IT and Travel and Tourism (IFITT), 2014.
- Among the top-25 international researchers in tourism (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221197361400049X)
- Award for the best university professor of the year 2010 (Teaching Excellence Award) by the State Government of Valencia (Spain).
- Tenured Full Professor of Marketing, Department of Marketing, College of Economics and Business, University of Alicante, 1996-2017
- Mariola Mountains, Alicante, Spain – because of people’s hospitality
Food & Drink
- Paella, rice, best to be had in the mountains of Alicante