Manisha Singal, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in Hospitality Management in the Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech. She currently teaches the core class in International Business to Pamplin freshmen/sophomore students. Previously she has taught several classes such as Strategic Management, Financial Management, Graduate Seminar, Research Foundations in Hospitality and Tourism, Services Management, Travel and Tourism Management, and Catering Management. Dr. Singal has taught at the Undergraduate, Masters, and Doctoral levels, and via in-class contact, online, and blended formats.
Her research interests relate to examining the antecedents of firm financial and social performance. Dr. Singal also examines how ownership structure, like family ownership, impact strategic outcomes in hospitality business organizations. Manisha’s research on topics such as corporate social responsibility and its link to financial performance, subsidiary knowledge sharing in multinational corporations, and family business decision-making, have appeared in several top-tier hospitality-specific and general management journals, such as, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Family Business Review, Journal of International Management, International Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management (IJHM), Tourism Management, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, and Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research.
She serves as a coordinating editor for IJHM and on several editorial review boards including Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research and Family Business Review. Her research has won many awards including the Junior Faculty Research Excellence Award in the Pamplin College of Business.
Manisha received her doctoral degree in strategic management from Virginia Tech, and master’s degree in economics from Eastern Michigan University.
- Corporate Social and Financial Performance, Corporate Governance, Family Business
- Industry Focus: Hospitality and Tourism
- Quantitative: Multiple Regression
- Qualitative: Grounded theory
Publications that best represent my research
- Singal, M., & Batra, S. (2021). The role of socioemotional wealth and entrepreneurial orientation in family-managed hotels. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management. 49, 204-213. Li, Y., & Singal, M. (2021). Corporate Governance in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry: Theoretical Foundations and Future Research. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. doi:10.1177/10963480211011718 [Publisher] [Google Scholar]*
- Manoharan, A., Madera, J., & Singal, M. (2021). Walking the talk in diversity management: Exploring links between strategic statements, management practices and external recognition International Journal of Hospitality Management, 94. 102864. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2021.102864 [Publisher] [Google Scholar]*
- ^Li, Y., & Singal, M. (2021). Deal characteristics and M&A performance: How do hospitality firms fare? International Journal of Hospitality Management, 96, 102947. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2021.102947 [Publisher] [Google Scholar]*
- ^Rhou, Y., & Singal, M. (2020). A Review of the Business Case for CSR in the Hospitality Industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management. 84. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2019.102330 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- ^Li, Y., & Singal, M. (2019). Capital Structure in the Hospitality Industry: The role of the asset-light and fee-oriented strategy. Tourism Management, 70, 124-133. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2018.08.004 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- ^Li, Y., & Singal, M. (2018). Firm Performance in the Hospitality Industry: Do CEO Attributes and Compensation Matter? Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research, 43(2), 272-282. doi:10.1177/1096348018776453 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Singal, M. (2015). How is the hospitality and tourism industry different? An empirical test of some structural characteristics. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 47, 116-119. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.03.006 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Singal, M. (2014). Corporate Social Responsibility in the Hospitality and Tourism Industry: Do Family Control and Financial Condition Matter? International Journal of Hospitality Management, 36(1), 81-89. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.08.002 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] * Singal, M. (2014). The link between firm financial performance and investment in sustainability initiatives. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 55(1), 19-30.
- Singal, M. (2012). The Effect of Consumer Sentiment on Hospitality Expenditures and Stock Returns. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 31(1), 511-521. doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2011.07.009 [Publisher] [Google Scholar] *
- Singal, M. (2014). The link between firm financial performance and investment in sustainability initiatives. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly, 55(1), 19-30. [Publisher] [Google Scholar]
* Pamplin elite list journal; ^indicates Ph.D. student
- HTM/MGT 2314 Introduction to International Management (core business class required of all business majors)
- MGT 4394 Strategic Management (capstone course)
- HTM 2454 Travel and Tourism Management
- HTM 2464 Introduction to Services Management
- HTM 2514 Catering Management
- HTM 5444 Financial Management in the Hospitality and Service Industries
- HTM 5534 Strategic Management and Competitive Strategy in the Hospitality Industries
- HTM 5944 Graduate Seminar
- HTM 6534 Advanced Seminar in Strategic Management in the Hospitality Industry
- HTM 6464 Research Foundations in Hospitality and Tourism (Business Strategy Module)
Ph.D. Chair / Co-chair:
- Simone Bianco (degree expected 2023)
- Ju Yeon Shin (degree expected 2025)
- Yuan Li (graduated 2019)
- Yinyoung Rhou (graduated 2018)
Memberships / Conferences
- International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE) annual conference
- Academy of Management (AOM) annual meeting
- International Association of Hospitality Financial Educators (IAHFME) annual research symposium
- Family Enterprise Research Conference (FERC) annual meeting
- Strategic Management Society (SMS) annual conference
- Academy of International Business (AIB) annual conference
- International Association for Business and Society (IABS) annual conference
- Coordinating Editor, International Journal of Hospitality Management
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research
- Member, Editorial Board, Family Business Review
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Ethics and Entrepreneurship
- Co-Editor, Special Issue on Governance in Family Firms, Journal of Family Business Management, 2016
- Member, Editorial Board, ICHRIE Penn State Research Reports 2013 – 2017
- PhD in Business Management, Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech, VA. 2008
- MA in Economics, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
- MBA, B.K. Institute of Business Management, Ahmedabad, India.
- BA in Economics, St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad, India
Select Academic Honors and Awards
- Best Conference Paper Award at the 2019 ICHRIE Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism, held July 22-24 New Orleans, USA.
- Apex Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship 2017 mini-grant award for research proposal
- Best Conference Paper Award at 2016 Research Symposium of the International Association of Hospitality Financial Management Educators, New York, November 12, 2016.
- Best Working Paper Award at 2015 Family Firm Institute Annual Conference in London, U.K. October 2015.
- Best Reviewer Award at 2015 ICHRIE Annual conference, Orlando, USA Finance and Accounting track, August 2015.
- Virginia Tech Scholar of the Week: July 15 – 21, 2014.
- Junior Faculty Award for Research Excellence in the Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech (2013-14).
- Best Paper Award at the Family Enterprise Research Conference, USA. (2010, 2012, 2014)
- Best Paper Proceedings of 2010 Academy of Management Meeting, Montreal, Canada.
- Recognized as Family Owned Business Institute (FOBI) Scholar. Cash Award.
- Best Paper Proceedings of 2007 Academy of Management Meeting. Philadelphia, USA.
- Paper nominated as finalist for the Booz Allen Hamilton, and SMS Ph.D. Fellowship Award at 2006 Strategic Management Society Conference, Vienna, Austria.
- 2007 Warren Lloyd Holtzman Award for Graduate Research Excellence, Department of Management, Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech.
- 2007 Robert J. Litschert Memorial Fellowship in Management for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement, Department of Management, Pamplin College of Business, Virginia Tech.
- Adjunct Professor, Davis College of Business and Economics, Radford University, VA, 1998-2004
- Reserve Bank of India. Served as an Exchange Control officer at their headquarters in Mumbai. My job involved making recommendations as well as implementation of policies related to international trade, import-export, and foreign direct investment.