Dave Roberts is a Professor of Hospitality & Tourism Management in the Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech. He currently teaches in the Graduate School. Dave retired from Marriott in March of 2019, after 23 years with the company. Most recently, he was the Senior Vice President of Revenue Strategy & Solutions. In this role, he was responsible for Revenue Management strategy and execution for ~7,000 hotels worldwide. He also led Revenue Analytics - providing topline analysis for the company, as well as Sales Systems - providing strategy, development, and deployment of technology to drive and manage meeting & event business. Prior to this role, in addition to leading Revenue Management, he led the Consumer Insights department, providing consumer research and analytics for regional and corporate stakeholders. Dave has also been Regional Vice President of Market Strategy for Marriott’s Eastern Region, and Vice President of Global Pricing, in addition to several other roles in the company. Prior to Marriott, Dave was a manager in the Finance Department at American Airlines, working on airplane purchases and route economics. He was also a technical consultant on missile defense for the US Department of Defense, as part of the ‘Star Wars’ initiative. He has a B.S. and an M.S. in Operations Research from Cornell, and an MBA with majors in Finance and Economics from Northwestern’s Kellogg School. He holds a U.S. Patent on a software product (a ‘data matching’ algorithm), and has published several academic papers on such topics as forecasting, options pricing, and customer choice modeling. Dave was on IBM’s Business Analytics Advisory Board for 6 years, and on Cornell’s Center for Hospitality Research Advisory Board for 5 years. He has been a frequent speaker at industry events, as well as several top universities. In his spare time, he enjoys martial arts and astronomy.
- Revenue Management
- Business Strategy
- HTM 5534 Business Strategy
- HTM 5444 Corporate Finance
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI) ROC, annual conference
- Guest speaker at several universities, including Cornell University, Wharton / UPenn, Penn State, University of Maryland, James Madison University, George Mason University, University of Arkansas
- IBM Business Analytics Advisory Board, 2009 - 2015
- Cornell University Center for Hospitality Research Advisory Board, 2012 - 2019
- MBA, Kellogg School, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 1993
- MS, Cornell University, Operations Research, Ithaca, NY, 1988
- BS, Cornell University, Operations Research, Ithaca, NY, 1987
Honors and Awards
- Senior Vice President, Revenue Strategy & Solutions, Marriott International, 2016-2019
- Senior Vice President, Consumer Insights & Revenue Strategy, Marriott International, 2013-2016
- Senior Vice President, Revenue Management, Marriott International, 2008-2013
- Vice President, Revenue Strategy, Eastern Region, Marriott International, 2007-2008
- Vice President, Global Pricing, Marriott International, 2004-2007
- Various other positions, Marriott International, 1996-2004
- Manager, Financial Analysis, American Airlines, 1993-1996
- Senior Consultant to US Department of Defense (Missile Defense), Booz-Allen & Hamilton, 1988-1991
- I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to over 30 countries. Lake Louise in Canada is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. Wow.
Food & Drink
- My favorite food is Giordano’s Deep Dish Pizza, from Chicago. My favorite drink is Monster Energy; Khaos flavor is preferred, though all are fabulous.